[Vision2020] 3rd St. Pedestrian Bridge

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Wed May 2 09:58:27 PDT 2007

Actually, at bridge at 3rd is a very old idea. It was an issue in the
1960s (or 70s?) when the area around Lena Whitmore was being
developed. I've been told it was also an issue when the school
district was proposing to build Lena Whitmore in the early 1950s. If
I recall correctly, it was in the 1955 Comprehensive Plan along with
the by-pass (now known as the "ring road"). If the City would
implement their transportation plan before development--or at least
stick to it during development, connections such as the 3rd street
bridge would work. Unfortunately, the City has a history of forcing
transportation to work around development. As a result, somebody has
to lose big time to make connectivity work.

Kit Craine