[Vision2020] The Imam of Ait Kassem Serves Lunch

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Tue May 1 10:43:54 PDT 2007

reetings:

I would like to reply to Eiselein and Crabtree on terrorist headgear and the
Blue Men.

For weeks I've been disputing the connection between headgear and terrorists, so
how could anyone take my comments as anything but a sarcastic comment on this
non connection, and the unrepentant use of a virulent term for those choose to
wear a turban by one of our list members?

I thank Crabtree for giving the French side of things.  Yes, the Blue Men lost
in the early part of the century, but the French were very wise to let their
protectorate go in Morocco, because with modern weapons the Blue Men would have
been just as effective as the Algerian insurgents were against the French, a
blacker mark for them in terms of torture and the killing of civilians than
their own fiasco in Vietnam, one which we foolishly followed.

Because the French left peacefully in 1956, the Moroccans have very good
relations with them.  Just as in India, they left a good transportation system
(we drove on road built by the Legionaries) and a good administration.  Also
just as in India where English is the default language, every educated Moroccan
knows French, and Gail and I were stumbling all over ourselves trying to
remember our vocabulary, foolishly and arrogantly thinking that the Moroccans
would prefer English.

Nick Gier