[Vision2020] Women, Bonobos, and Peace

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sat Mar 31 10:10:09 PDT 2007

Greetings:

I'm leaving for a 3-week trip to Morocco next week and I could take a
break from my radio commentaries (Donovan would like that), but I
just had too many topics that I wanted to cover.  I've done two and
two more ("What Ever Happened to the Last Judgment?" and an Earth Day
piece "America's Moral Obligation for Global Warming") will somehow
get done before Tuesday evening.

I'm holding my column "Tolerance for Islam in the Early American
Republic" until after the symposium this afternoon (1:30 at the
Moscow High Aud.), but below you will find my column for the Borah Symposium.

WOMEN, BONOBOS, AND PEACE:
HOW WE CAN LEARN TO BE NICE TO ONE ANOTHER

Chimps are from Mars and Bonobos are from Venus.
--Robert M. Sapolsky

The Borah Symposium will be held in the UI SUB Ballroom from April
1-4. This year's topic is "Women, War, and Peace," a topic that I had
unsuccessfully lobbied for when I was on the Borah Committee in 1985.

When Jane Goodall first told her colleagues that she had witnessed
chimpanese murder, they advised her to not to make this discovery
public.  As a good scientist, Goodall of course chose otherwise, even
though the news undermined the widely held view that only we were the
only violent apes.

We now know that we and the chimps have a close relation, the
peaceful bonobos, who are now near extinction in the jungles of the
Democratic Republic of the Congo.  Discovered in the early 20th
Century, the bonobos were initially mistaken as small chimps, but
they are a separate species that most closely resemble
Australopithecus afarensis, a distant human ancestor.  Bonobos are
more naturally bipedal, and the males lack both the heavy musculature
and aggressive nature of their chimp cousins.

Bonobo society is matriarchal, even though the alpha male bonobo will
pretend that he is in charge, sometimes making threatening gestures
at intruders, it is the alpha female and her sisters who rule the roost.

While a dominant male chimp can take any female he wants by force,
the bonobo male has to court his mate.  Bonobo males, as one
scientist observed, must "ask first . . . offering food or making
other propositions--and bonobo females have the right to refuse."

Bonobos are the most sexually active creatures on earth.  Unlike
chimps but like humans, bonobo females are almost always sexually
receptive, and same sex encounters are just as frequent as
heterosexual intercourse.  Unlike other animals but like humans,
bonobos frequently make love face to face.

With only a few observed exceptions, when different bonobo bands
meet, they make love not war.  (In a similar instance male chimps
would usually fight.) In bonobo society having sex is the primary
means of conflict resolution, a solution that even some married
couples have learned to use.  The Japanese have been studying the
bonobo for 34 years, and they have not observed a bonobo killing
another bonobo.

Describing bonobos as "highly compassionate and conscious beings,"
Sally Coxe writes fondly about her interaction with Panbanisha, a
bonobo female at Georgia State University.  Panbanisha can understand
English, use sign language, and spell out words on a keyboard.

While playing hide-and-seek with Panbanisha, Coxe noticed that the
bonobo recognized her name, and then made a gesture to Coxe to be
quiet so that they would not be found. Responding to a small cut on
Coxe's wrist, Panbanisha wrote out "hurt" on her keyboard.  [Note to
Visionaries: Panbanisha is a person!]

The question of whether chimps and humans are hard-wired for violence
has been addressed by Robert Spolsky, who has studied baboons most of
his career.  Male baboons are just as aggressive and abusive to their
females as some male humans are.

Spolsky documented remarkable behavioral changes in the particular
band of baboons that he had been studying closely.  The dominant
males had been raiding the garbage dump of a hunting lodge, and all
of them died as a result of eating tainted meat.

This troop's females were able to stage a velvet revolution, in which
they were able to pacify the surviving less dominant males. Spolsky
noted that "aggression was less frequent, particularly against third
parties. . . . There were even instances, now and then, of adult
males grooming each other--a behavior nearly as unprecedented as
baboons sprouting wings."

This evidence, combined with other experiments in which babies from
aggressive monkey species were pacified by less aggressive foster
mothers, strongly suggests that primates are not "natural born
killers," and that we can all, under the influence of nurturing
females, learn to be nice to one another.

And since we seem to have a lot of bonobo in us, we don't have a far
to go as our chimp cousins.