[Vision2020] Archies on the Square

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:20:49 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Once it was explained to him, the appropriate reaction was not to yell
> > at the person on the other end of the phone.
>
> So, an incompetent caregiver phones his business and expects an
> apology for a problem that he (the caregiver) caused, and anger isn't
> a reasonable response?  Two faux pas occurred; the first being Tom
> Hopper's impertinent phone call, the second being Jim Johnson's
> unfortunate reaction.  If Hopper had not been an ass, he would have
> apologized as soon as he realized that Johnson was unaware of Dan's
> disability.  The course of events would then likely have included a
> reciprocal apology by Johnson.
>
> Johnson's crime was more lack of eloquence than anything else.  He has
> explained this, but the lure of conspicuous righteousness has proven
> more important than truth or charity.
>
> I'm going to swear in the next two paragraphs.  For those who can't
> handle it, skip ahead, or avert your eyes.
>
> Jim might have said: "How was I supposed to know he was disabled?  He
> wasn't wearing a fucking sign around his neck!"  It isn't surprising
> that a self-confessed inarticulate man utters instead something which
> approaches that meaning but is less acceptably expressed.
>
> I am not a Christian, as I have made clear on numerous occasions, but
> I do believe in interpreting the words of  those with whom I am in
> disagreement CHARITABLY.  If Johnson had yelled to Hopper, while he
> and Dan were still in the restaurant, 'Get that fucking retarded freak
> out of here!" then a charitable interpretation would obviously be
> difficult.  However, that is not what Johnson yelled.  Further, the
> outburst occurred after the main event, and was the result of
> considerable provocation.  Hopper's own ineptitude was the cause.
>
> This has been explained ad nauseum, and I am not inclined to explain
> it again.  The simple fact is that sanctimoniousness bullyboys have
> crucified a man for losing his temper and expressing himself poorly.
>
> For the first time in 10 years, I feel shame for living in Moscow.

Chas --

I'm clearly not calling for blood. In fact, I'm pretty sure that no
one has called for Archie's to be closed and Jim to be whipped in the
public square. The protesters asked for an apology, and for it not to
be done again. That's what ended up happening. If that had been step
one, as it should've been, this entire thing wouldn't've made the
paper.

The only disproportionate response here has been from Jim himself.
Closing his restaurant and exploding on the whole town in response to
-- like I said -- a public relations mistake that, at its maximum
kerfuffletude, involved two dozen people? Seriously.

-- ACS