[Vision2020] long term care

Brent Bradberry brentbradberry at clearwire.net
Wed Mar 28 15:08:23 PDT 2007

Roger asked for comments about long term care policies; here is one:

About ten years ago my parents were both diagnosed with Alzheimer's. We
decided to move them in with us for as long as possible. When they
reached the point where they no longer recognized us or knew where they
were (after about 4 years), we moved them to what is now called Aspen
Park where they were well cared for, but at a high $$ cost (and they had
no applicable insurance). Dad died in 2002 and Mother in 2005, each at
the age of 91.

The experience prompted my wife and I to take out long term care
policies, primarily to protect the finances of our children or the
healthy spouse if one of us requires long term care. This is a type of
insurance that we hope never to use, and although we have not had to try
to collect we are comfortable with our decision. We did a GREAT deal of
research before we decided, and I strongly urge anyone else who might be
interested to take his/her time and read all the fine print. Definitely,
some policies might be better than others for certain people and certain
circumstances. I would go so far as to recommend hiring an disinterested
outside expert, such as an expert in elder law and/or financial
planning, to assist you in making your decision.

Brent Bradberry