[Vision2020] Legislative Update XII from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Mar 23 22:19:19 PDT 2007

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER 12  --  MARCH 19-23/2007

Constituents:

Most Legislators thought we'd be home at the end of today.   However, the
Ides of March still seem to play wildly in the legislative chambers.   I'm
reminded of a bunch of 4-6 year old boys in a sandbox drawing lines in the
sand and throwing sand at each other as we wind down this legislative
session.  The fighting involves the Governor's Office, the House, and the
Senate.  Talk about a waste of time  --  we were called in today on the
23rd for business at 8:00 am and after twenty minutes we were sent home for
the weekend.  Here are some of the major issues we worked on this week.

 1.  Grocery Tax Credit  --  The House and Senate passed HB81 which would
have provided an increased grocery tax credit increase for citizens plus an
increase for Seniors.  The financial impact would  have been about $47
million/year.   The Governor proposed a means based grocery tax plan, but
his plan was not selected by the Rev and Tax Committee.  The impact of this
bill would have been around $33 million.   The Governor vetoed HB81 because
he wants his bill passed.   Legislative leadership went over to talk with
the Governor but he is still playing hardball.  Unless there is some
compromise we may go away from this session with no grocery tax credit
improvement.  Of course, the Legislature could try and override the veto,
but I don't think we have the votes.  Keep tuned.

 2.  Higher Education  --  In many ways this has been a banner year for
Higher Education--the 5% merit  pay raise is one of the best in years.  A
major appropriation will help the University catch up on some deferred
maintenance and operation.   We approved $10 million to help build a new
Livestock and Environmental Research Center near Jerome.   The University
will have to come up with a $10 million match within two years to proceed
with the project.

 3.  HB217  --  Idaho Opportunity Scholarship Program  --  this bill passed
the Senate on a 28-7 vote.  A trailer appropriations bill will come up on
Monday which would provide $2 million in on going scholarship funding and
$10 million for the endowment fund.   The intent language is also crafted
indicating that another $10 million will be requested the next three years
to get the endowment up to $40 million. The income generated from $40
million will be about $2 million/year.   This will be a needs based
scholarship fund to assist low income and low middle income students who
find it increasingly difficult to access higher education because of the
high cost of education.   Idaho ranks 48th nationally in providing needs
based scholarship support  --  a whopping $17/student/year.  I've been
working on this legislation for the past three years, and I was a
co-sponsor of the legislation.  The Governor's support on this legislation
has been very much appreciated.

4.  Governor Vetos Bowling Alley Smoking Ban  --  The Ides of March
continued with the Governor vetoing the  bill passed by huge margins by the
Legislature to ban smoking in bowling alleys.  The Governor said that he
had grave concerns about the "social engineering" aspects of the
legislation.   I've received at least 50 e mails protesting the ban and
none in support.   There may be attempts to overturn the veto.

 5.  House Okays Ban on State Benefits for Immigrants and English is now
the State's Official Language.  It was interesting that no one could offer
proof of what the financial impact or savings from the denying state
benefits to immigrants would be.

 6.  Protection for Rural Schools  --  Craig-Wyden funding for Idaho's
rural schools is in doubt at the Congressional level.   However, JFAC set
aside $3.5 million just in case Congress fails to act on the
reauthorization of the Craig-Wyden bill.

 7.   Impact of Putting Bills in Chairmans’ Desk Drawers--this is a common
practice as a way to kill a bill.  The Chairwoman of the House
Transportation Committee put two bills passed overwhelming  by the  Senate
in her desk drawer and effectively killed the legislation for this session.
  These were the bills to increase penalties if child safety seats in
vehicles were not properly fastened and if the driver  and passengers were
not wearing seat belts.   Her response was that "I know my committee would
have voted against the measurers so I will not allow any testimony and
waste our time.   My practice as  committee chairman is to allow testimony
on any bill that comes to my committee.

  Another bill assigned to the House Transportation Committee  --
SB1181--was also put in the desk drawer.  This is the report from Sen. Mike
Jorgenson, the Sponsor of the Bill and will give the reader some insight
into what goes on late in the session.  During this legislative session I
continued my fight to assist those public safety officers who are
permanently and totally disabled in the line of duty.  Two years ago I
began work on legislation which would provide healthcare insurance to those
police officers and firefighters who were catastrophically injured because
they risked their lives and livelihoods as their job requires them to do.
The need for this benefit was demonstrated in the case of Coeur D'Alene
police officer Mike Kralicek.  In December of 2004 he was shot in the face
pursuing a criminal and was paralyzed.  After he received his disability
rating he was released from the Department.  Without his employer provided
benefits he found himself spending almost half of his disability income on
healthcare premiums and had little more than $1,000 left to support his family.

 The bill that I introduced this year was well crafted legislation that
enjoyed good support in the Senate.  The bill provided the benefit that was
intended without causing any unintended consequences and did so with nearly
no cost to the state.  In fact, the cost of the benefit is partially shared
by those public safety employees who could stand to benefit from it.  The
bill was approved by a 28-5 vote on the Senate floor and transmitted to the
House on Thursday, March 15th.

     Upon reaching the House, SB1811 was sent to the Transportation
Committee -  an unusal choice for a committee.  More than likely the bill
was assigned to guarantee its defeat.  The chairwoman is leaving this bill
in her drawer in a petty political payback for opposition to one of her
bills.  It is unfortunate that a good bill such as SB1181 which has so much
support on both sides of the legislature and provides a much needed benefit
to our public safety workers who risk their lives and livelihoods, will die
because of political game playing."

We still do not know when we will be getting out next week (I hope) but the
rumor is on Wednesday.   I'll send out one final legislative letter.

Rep. Tom Trail