[Vision2020] Gardening

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Tue Mar 20 19:19:32 PDT 2007

    Yeah, Matt's suggested seed mix is good.  Also be wary of soils that
have had their PH all messed up by the likes of  Walnut tree leaves, which
if not removed and hauled away, will acidify the soil and make growing grass
near imposible.  A PH check and correction if necessary, proper tilled in
ammendments like course sand, (for drainage) and compost, (for moisture
retention and organic/insect activity) then rough in Matt's seed blend, and
top dress with a quarter inch of EKO or similar compost to protect seed from
drying out too readily and increase germination.  Some folks spread a thin
layer of straw for the same purpose, but then ya' gotta' rake up the hay
after germination, a slight hassle.  Also for a lawns long term health,
water less frequently and deeper, feed with a full spectrum food every other
month, mow a little taller in the heat of summer and keep that blade sharp.
Also good to plant enough shade trees to give the grass a break from
summer's 100 degree heat stress.  But not total shade but  dappled.

Happy gardening,   -T