[Vision2020] Question for the biblical scholars

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:33:13 PDT 2007

The Greek text says "debts," so do Jerome's Latin, Luther's German,
and the KJV. Other Bibles in my collection also say "debts": French,
Spanish, Danish and Norwegian. Nearly all English versions I have say
"debts," except the Revised English Bible, which says "Forgive us the
wrong we have done..."

As a kid I always heard it as "trespasses." The Eerdmans Commentary
on the Bible refers to "trespasses" as "traditional." The word is a
bit old fashioned, isn't it? The article on "Lord's Prayer" in the 6-
vol. Anchor Bible Dictionary gives about 16 references to articles
and books on the Lord's Prayer, including 2 books with that exact title.

I hope this answers your prayer, Roger.

Ralph

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Mar 20 10:16:55 PDT 2007

I learned the Lord's Prayer as debts and debtors. A lot of
denominations say forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those that
trespass against us. How did the difference come about? Is it a
Methodist vs Baptist thing?

Roger