[Vision2020] Gardening

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Mon Mar 19 12:54:54 PDT 2007

J:

As others have indicated, tomatoes grow well in Moscow,
but you can't just throw seed in the ground the way you
can down low in California.

Full sun works well, and planting against a
south-facing wall helps.

Some varieties work better than others. Most of the
extra-early varieties produce small tomatoes and not
many. Presently my favorites are Goliath (regular
Goliath, not Bush Goliath or any other Goliath) and
Legend and Early Girl. These are full-size and
full-flavor tomotoes and they are almost as early as
some of the Siberian and Arctic and Ice Tray (I made
that one up) varieties. I used to plant a lot of
Santiam, too. Early Girl is an old standby.

Some years ago May 15 was the average date for last
killing frost in Moscow, and June 1 was a good date to
set out tomatoes and other frost-sensitive plants. This
year I am going to watch Al Gore and plant when he does.

Best regards, Don Coombs

Another observation: I keep mason bees to pollinate
fruit trees, and yesterday there they were, out
exploring. Pretty early. The ones in my refrigerator
will stay there until the fruit trees show some blossoms.