[Vision2020] Legislative Update XI from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Mar 17 14:53:31 PDT 2007

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER--WEEK 11  MARCH 13-16/2007

Constituents:

Everyone is hoping to get out of Boise by mid-week or around the 21st.
All of our Legislative Committees are shutting down and so we will
definitely be finishing legislative business by the end of next week.  The
70 degree weather in Boise this past weekend certainly serves as a stimulus
to move us to more rapidly complete our task.

JFAC it appears will finish up with considerable extra one time money, but
the majority of it will probably be held back in reserve.    The economic
forecast indicates that the economy is headed downward, and the tax
revenues coming into the state are falling behind projections.   Nationwide
the stock market in going down and over 1,500,000 mortgages are being
foreclosed.   Here are some of the highlights from the week:

1.  $246 Million Bond Sale for Highways  --  It appears that the
Legislature will approve selling $246 million  in bonds for the Connecting
Idaho High Way Plan.  Most of the construction will favor S.W. Idaho.  The
commitment for the Highway stretch north of Worley and the Garwood-Sagle
will continued to be funded.  It appears that lawmakers who approved the
plan might be readying Idaho citizens for a gasoline tax hike for the
coming year.   The increasing cost of road building materials is simply
escalating too rapidly to fund planned construction under current plans.
An increase of 7 cents/gallon has been recommended by the Idaho Department
of Transportation.

2.  HB217  --  Opportunity Scholarship  --  This bill had been held up by
leadership because of funding issues. The House Education Committee passed
the bill out today on a 17-2 vote.    I'm a Co-sponsor on this legislation.
  If passed and funded the bill would provide scholarships for middle and
low income students who have a difficult time financing their higher
education programs.   Currently the typical college graduate has more than
$20,000 in loans upon graduation.  Studies clearly show that the escalating
cost of higher education prevents many middle and low income students from
accessing college.  With luck at least the enabling legislation could be
set up this year.   This would set up an endowment fund under the Secretary
of the Treasury Office.   This would be a step forward.   There is some
possibility of funding but this all depends on negotiations going on with
Leadership and the Governor's Office.

 3.  HCR08  --  Human Rights Resolution.  This passed the Senate with no
opposition.   I was the bill sponsor.  The legislation had the support of
the Idaho Human Rights Commission, the Human Rights Education Center, and
the Idaho Interfaith Alliance.

 4.  Sex Abuse Victims Have More Time To File Civil Suits  --  The
Legislature voted unanimously to give sex  abuse victims more time to file
civil lawsuits in their cases.  Under the bill, a claim could be filed
without regard to the victim's age as long as it is filed within five years
of the time that he or she discovers or reasonably should have discovered
the abuse and its relationship to an injury suffered by the child.

5.  Legislative Committee To Study Tax Exemptions  --  It appears that a
Tax Committee will be formed to study Idaho Tax Exemptions.   I had
submitted a bill to the House Rev and Tax Committee to form a Citizens
Committee to work with the Tax Commission, Legislature and the Governor's
Office to set up a system to review all of the 75 tax exemptions and come
up with an accountability system to review whether exemptions do or do not
benefit the State.   I was told to send my bill to the Senate Local
Government and Tax Committee because there was a great deal of interest in
studying exemptions.  The resolution to set up the study committee reads,
"The tax structure in place has become out of balance.  Many tax
exemptions, deductions or credits have been enacted by the Legislature over
the past three decades and these need to be examined to determine their
relevance in today's global economy and society.: I'm very pleased that the
Committee will study this very important issue.  Tax exemptions total over
$1.6 billion each year.

 6. HB203  --  This bill would have provided loan forgiveness for teachers
who teach in critical teacher shortage areas such as math, science, and
special education.   The bill was returned to the Education Committee
because of concerns over the fiscal impact.   I'm certain that the bill
will be back again next year.

 7.  English As Idaho Official Language  --  This bill will come up before
the House in the next several days.  The bill will pass by a wide margin.
 Some of the claims of supporters are not borne out by research.  One
example is that proponents claim states that have adopted English as an
official language have increased English learning by immigrants.   Research
shows there is no difference.

 8.   Craig-Wyden Legislation  --  If this legislation is not passed by
Congress it will impact rural Idaho counties by about $24 million.   Idaho
county is hardest hit.   The big impact would be on counties and schools.
JFAC has reserved enough money for the schools if the reauthorization is
not passed by Congress.

I will be sending out a final letter when we Sine Die hopefully toward the
end of next week.

 I can be contacted at ttrail at house.idaho.gov and my phone is 208-332-1260.

Rep. Tom Trail