[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 21:29:53 PDT 2007

Sue,

  You ask, "If they are sold there and not shipped out, why does that create a problem for you?" Besides it being in MY country, because I buy stuff there.

  My friend bought a refrigerator from a store and the instructions on putting it together and maintaining it properly where in Spanish, that can be a problem. The stores in Southern California, for example, the Best Buy off of I-10 in San Bernadino puts their banners up in big Spanish letters and the English is in smaller letters at the bottom.

  Why else does it bother me, because English being a second language in parts of my own country, well when I cannot find something in the store and and every person that works there doesn't speak English, it is a problem. It happens to me in Boise, Phoenix, LA, Las Vegas, places in Washington State and Oregon, and lots of other places.

  Want a more serious situation? OK, how about when I was driving from Phoenix to LA and there was a serious accident, I was seriously delayed in providing first aid to the victims because one of them could not speak English. I was spending time trying to figure out what he was trying to say rather than doing what needed to be done. Tell me, do you think it reasonable to delay emergency aid to themselves and others because they do not speak the language as everyone else? I don't, and this is an everyday problem with people driving around that cannot read the road signs or communicate with other drivers. Road signs are more complicated than just STOP or signal lights. Police Officers, Doctors, EMTs, First Responders, Firefighters, and Nurses have to deal with helping people without the most important diagnostic tool they have, asking the patient.

  A person needs to be able to communicate with others in society in which they dwell, for their safety and well being as well as the safety of others around them.

  Best,

  Donovan

Sue Hovey <suehovey at moscow.com> wrote:
      OK,  I guess we can agree to disagree on the English language mandate.

  But would you humor me on this one?  You said:

      If you haven't bought anything where the directions were primarily Spanish it is because you haven't bought anything in a community that is in the Southwestern United States. You probably buy your stuff in Moscow or Spokane that is 98% White not 40% White.

  I believe in buying locally so I don't tend to run off to Arizona or California to buy products. If they are sold there and not shipped out, why does that create a problem for you?  And I really would like an example.  It's not that I'm unwilling to  believe you, I just want to know what one might be.

  Actually for the past three months I have done all my buying in Hawaii--lucky me.  There are many things I love about this wonderful state, and among them is the benefit of its linguistic diversity.  I don't buy many products here that need directions, but it's great fun to shop for groceries where one runs into labels printed in many languages--of course one can shop in World Market in Spokane and do the same thing.

  Sue