[Vision2020] Global Warming, etc.

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Mon Mar 12 13:11:15 PDT 2007

Global production of methane by termites
R. A. Rasmussen & M. A. K. Khalil

Department of Environmental Science, Oregon Graduate Center, 19600 N.W.
Walker Road, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA

Widespread destruction of forests and their replacement by grasslands
may provide suitable habitats for termites, leading to an increase in
their population and thus also in the production of methane1. We have
carried out an experiment to verify the role of termites in the global
methane cycle and to identify the uncertainties inherent in such global
extrapolations of laboratory data. We found that termites are indeed a
potentially significant source of atmospheric methane with an estimated
global prodution of about 50  1012 g yr-1; however, the uncertainties
in global estimates are so large (10−100  1012 g yr-1) that it cannot
yet be proved that termites play an important role in the global
methane cycle. Our calculations show that the production of CH4 by
termites is probably <15% of the global yearly emissions.