[Vision2020] We're Sorry!

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Mon Mar 12 10:41:52 PDT 2007

Regrets for Slavery
Background

Walter Williams, responding to the Virginia Assembly's apology for
slavery, says the legislature is apologizing for the wrong things.
Largely black Richmond has a murder rate of 43 people per 100,000
population (nearly eight times the national average), giving it the
third-highest murder rate in the nation. Black education is a disgrace
in Virginia, with 51% of black eighth graders scoring below basic, and
with the median SAT score for black students in Virginia a shameful 848
out of 1600, 210 points below the white median.

>From Walter E. Williams over at Town Hall:

"The next time the Virginia General Assembly gets into an apologetic
mood and wants to pass another resolution aimed at its black citizens,
here are my suggestions: The Commonwealth of Virginia apologizes to its
black citizens for not protecting them from criminals who prey upon
them and make their lives a daily nightmare. The Commonwealth also
apologizes for our government-sanctioned school system that delivers
fraudulent education, thereby consigning many of its black citizens to
the bottom rungs of the economic ladder."