[Vision2020] Warming Affirmed as Moral Issue

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 02:48:11 PDT 2007

keely-

In fact, to construe "dominium" as "stewardship" is a misuse of language:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v
1.1)<http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html>-
*Cite This Source*<http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=dominium&ia=luna>
*do·min·i·um*
<https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2Fdominium>
  /dəˈmɪniəm/ *Pronunciation Key* - *Show Spelled Pronunciation*[d*uh*-*min*
-ee-*uh*m] *Pronunciation Key* - *Show IPA Pronunciation* *–noun
**Law*.   complete
power to use, to enjoy, and to dispose of property at will.
 ------------------------------
[Origin: 1815–25; < L, equiv. to *domin*(*us*) lord, master + *-ium*
-ium<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-ium>]

Even my American Heritage Dictionary defines "dominion" as

1. Control or the exercise of control; rule, sovereignty: "The devil... has
their souls in his possession...and under his dominion." (Jonathan Edwards).

I do not think the language in the Bible in Genesis giving humans "dominium"
over life on Earth is as environmentally friendly a message as a spiritual
view that human life is integrated into and dependent upon all other life on
Earth.

Also, given that the ultimate eventual reality of Christians is not the
biosphere on Earth, but eternal life in heaven, it is perhaps hard to
convince many Christians that protecting the Earth's biosphere is as
absolutely important as seeking eternal life in a spiritual God defined
realm that exists somehow independent from Earth's biosphere.

I offer these comments not to engage in theological debate, but to point out
the obvious arguments that are common in the minds of many when it is
argued, as I would, that the Earth's biosphere and all life on it is our
ultimate reality, and that to destroy it is to destroy our very "spiritual"
being and means of survival as a species...

In other words, no heaven to bail you out!  If the Earth's bioshere is
destroyed, human existence is gone...unless we are living in space, etc.

Ted Moffett