[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Mar 11 20:49:53 PDT 2007

Edgar Malepeai is a very special person and a remarkable teacher.  One of
the impacts of legislation such as this is the harm in inflicts on people
who speak English (in Edgar's case it's beautifully spoken and articulate as
well) as a second language (or third or fourth) because there is the implied
message that some languages are superior to others.

Some of you may not appreciate the message "numero dos, para Espanol" but
there are those of us who sometimes push button two just to make our minds
remember what we used to know pretty well.

Closing with a non sequitur:  When Governor George Bush told Texans he was
learning Spanish, Jim Hightower responded, "Now he can be bi-ignorant."

Sue Hovey