[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 16:57:48 PDT 2007

The US and Canada are somewhat unique, given that 90+% of their
populations are relatively recent immigrants (i.e. less than four
hundred years).  English has been the defacto language of our country,
but there is no real reason why that has to be so.  How many people here
are descended from populations that don't speak English as their native
language?

I don't like the fact that this sends a message that immigrants better
adhere to the status quo and behave themselves - or they will find
themselves marginalized.  Which is downright ironic when you notice that
the people proposing this aren't Native Americans.

I think we are making a mistake - we should be trying to attract
immigrants to this country.

Paul