[Vision2020] Words Bring Pause

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 11 16:29:21 PDT 2007

Thanks, Tom, for sharing this.

<sigh>  I suppose it shouldn't surprise me in Idaho, but it *does*
disappoint me  :-(

"The definition of an official language is one that has been specifically
designated in the Constitution of a country or territory. Officially
recognized languages are often mistaken for official languages.

According to the online reference Wikipedia, half the countries of the world
have official languages. Some have only one official language, such as
Albania, France, Germany and Lithuania. Some have more than one official
language such as Belarus, Belgium, Canada, Finland, Afghanistan, Paraguay,
Bolivia, India, Switzerland, and South Africa.

Some countries, such as the United States, have no official national
language but do have areas where an official language has been adopted.
Still other countries have no official languages at all. These include
Australia, Eritrea, Luxembourg, Sweden and Tuvalu.

The Philippines and parts of Africa live with a peculiar cultural paradox.
Although the official languages may be French or English, these are not the
languages most widely spoken by those countries' residents. Another
interesting twist on official language can be found in the Republic of
Ireland. Though Irish is only spoken by a small proportion of people it is
actually the state's first official language. English, the spoken language
of the majority, is the second official language."
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/officialamerican/

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.