[Vision2020] Warming Affirmed as Moral Issue

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 11 07:37:05 PDT 2007

>From today's (March 11, 2007) Spokesman Review -

Warming affirmed as moral issue

Alan Cooperman
Washington Post
March 11, 2007

WASHINGTON - Rebuffing Christian radio commentator James Dobson, the board
of directors of the National Association of Evangelicals reaffirmed its
position that environmental protection, which it calls "creation care," is
an important moral issue.

Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, and two dozen other conservative
Christian leaders, including Gary Bauer, Tony Perkins and Paul Weyrich, sent
the board a letter this month denouncing the NAE's vice president, the Rev.
Richard Cizik, for urging attention to global warming.

The letter argued that evangelicals are divided on whether climate change is
a real problem, and it said that "Cizik and others are using the global
warming controversy to shift the emphasis away from the great moral issues
of our time," such as abortion and same-sex marriage.

If Cizik "cannot be trusted to articulate the views of American evangelicals
on environmental issues, then we respectfully suggest that he be encouraged
to resign his position with the NAE," the letter concluded.

The NAE's president, the Rev. Leith Anderson, said Saturday the board did
not respond to the letter during a two-day meeting that ended Friday in
Minneapolis. But, he said, the board reaffirmed a 2004 position paper, "For
the Health of the Nations," that outlined seven areas of civic
responsibility for evangelicals, including creation care along with
religious freedom, nurturing the family, sanctity of life, compassion for
the poor, human rights and restraining violence.

On Friday, the NAE's board approved a 12-page statement on terrorism and
torture. Anderson said that Cizik gave a report to the board on his work in
Washington as vice president for governmental affairs and that there was no
effort to reprimand him. "I think there was a lot of support from me, from
the executive committee and from the board for Rich Cizik," Anderson said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"As more and more heathens 'choose' to not have children the number of Godly
souls will increase. If the number of Christian births out number the number
of Islamic births the battle will be over in 3 or 4 generations."

- Doug "No-Clue" Farris (March 10, 2007)