[Vision2020] Fw: house bill 172

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Mar 6 12:16:52 PST 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Tom Trail" ttrail at house.state.id.us
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:53:01 -0800
To: "lfalen" lfalen at turbonet.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] house bill 172

Roger--You can share this if you'd like.   Shirley and I were stunned when the committee rejected the amendments
that they asked us to bring to them.   I believe it was not so much the amendments as the bill itself.  The courts
asked for several additional amendments including one from the courts and the other to protect the state from
liability in the extreme case that someone in the Secretary of States office leaked confidential information.  These
were the amendments.

Generally, the amendments are the only thing debated when you bring them in once the Committee has approved
the bill.    But all of a sudden it seemed that we were debating the bill again.   One committee member said that
several people had come up to him and said they disagreed against the bill, but they certainly didn't show up
to testify.

One committee member asked how the Idaho Prosecutors stood on the bill.   I had contacted their lobbyist
on three different occasions and never heard anything.   Shirley checked with Bill Thompson who is now the
State President of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association.   Apparently a notice went out to all of the
prosecuting attorney's in the state to comment on the bill and no feedback was received.   The problem
was that Shirley and I were not notified about this and could not bring this up to the committee.

We feel that this was handled poorly in committee.   Committee members that we interviewed after the
meeting were all confused and really couldn't give us any good reason for the negative vote.

We will come back again next year with the bill.   We need to get the State Groups who represent Women
who are victims of domestic violence to come out and testify next time around.

Rep. Tom Trail

>>> lfalen <lfalen at turbonet.com> 3/6/2007 10:13 AM >>>
House Bill 172 was sent back to committee for revision. It still lost.I think the vote was 8 to 7. I would like to thank Tom Trail, Shirley Ringo, LiZ Brandt and Carl Hulquist for there hard work on this bill. We will all have to find out what the objections were, refine the bill and try again next year. Tom and Shirley will continue to work on it. The Attorney General's office is also supportive. Everyone will keep trying until we make it.
Maybe Tom and Shirley can give us some more indepth information.

Roger

List services made available by First Step Internet,
               http://www.fsr.net ( http://www.fsr.net/ )
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com