[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (March 2, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 2 05:41:58 PST 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for March 2, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends March 2, 2007

Dear Friends,

The University of Idaho is leading in academic quality, accessibility and
affordability for all students - especially Idaho students. We pledge to
students and their families that in choosing the University of Idaho, they
choose an experience that can transform their lives through an unparalleled
learning and living experience of scholarship, research, creativity and
civic service. They choose a University that can provide truly empowering
opportunities and enable them to be tomorrow's high-achieving alumni,
serving Idaho, the nation and world.

This week, the University of Idaho announced Go Idaho! - our newest
scholarship program to encourage the state's best and brightest students to
attend the University of Idaho. The program guarantees a minimum of $6,000
for the state's top high school and home-schooled students over four years -
that's $1,500 per year minimum. Criteria include a minimum 3.5 cumulative
grade point average for high school graduates and a minimum 25 ACT/1140 SAT
score for home-schooled students.

One hallmark of our distinctive academic quality is the University of
Idaho's impressive record of attracting the nation's top academic
performers. These students improve the teaching and learning environment for
faculty and students alike. This year we welcomed the second highest number
of new National Merit Scholars in the Northwest, behind only University of
Washington - ten times as many new Scholars than all other Idaho
institutions combined. These cream-of-the-crop students receive extra
assistance and encouragement under the Go Idaho! program. National Merit
Scholars are guaranteed full-ride scholarships totaling more than $10,000
for each of four years of study at the University of Idaho, so long as they
maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average. The funds pay for tuition, fees,
room and board. They also will be connected with individual faculty and
alumni mentors.

I am very proud of Go Idaho! as an example of our University's commitment to
the state's future. The new scholarship program is available beginning with
freshmen entering in fall 2007. Read more about it at
www.uidaho.edu/goidaho.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The Department of Landscape Architecture has received a $10,000 grant from
the University's Sustainability (UISC) grant committee to construct a Rain
Water Harvest Demonstration Garden at the historic Art and Architecture
building. The interdisciplinary project aims to showcase rainwater
collection as a viable water conservation innovation. Cisterns will be
installed to collect rain and snow melt from the building's roof October
through May. The stored rainwater will be the sole source of irrigation for
the garden with solar-powered irrigation pumps used during the summer
months. For more information, go to:
www.today.uidaho.edu/Details.aspx?ID=3752

The 2007 Borah Symposium, "Women, War and Peace," is April 1-4, and will
address women's participation in the peacekeeping process. The keynote
speaker is Mary Robinson, the first woman president of Ireland and former
U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights. Robinson's presentation will begin
at 7 p.m. on Monday, April 2 in the Student Union Building Ballroom. All
symposium events are free and open to the public. For more information,
visit http://martin.uidaho.edu/borah.

The Alumni Association hosts a day of Spring Training baseball March 13 in
Tempe, Ariz. It's the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim versus the Kansas City
Royals at Tempe Diablo Stadium. Pre-game luncheon begins at 11:30 a.m., and
first pitch is at 1:05 p.m. Cost is $35 for lunch and reserved seats.
Purchase tickets online at www.uirsvp.com or contact Sandy Larsen at (208)
364-4030, sandyl at uidaho.edu, with event questions.

The College of Business and Economics is once again the recipient of the
generosity of John Adams '76, Sue Adams '76 and Kim Adams Milks '01. The
Adams Family Fund, through the Denver Foundation, recently made a $10,000
gift to the J. A. Albertson Building. They were early supporters of the
building campaign, and helped the privately funded academic facility become
a reality and create the first home for the college. John, Sue and Kim speak
as one to say, "The College is very progressive, offering some of the best
business advantages a prospective student could want. From the facilities to
the academics, we are glad to support the advances in technology, the
classroom environments and programs like the Integrated Business Curriculum.
The education provided by the University and the College laid the foundation
for our professional success and personal gains. We have been blessed with
much good fortune in our lives and owe a lot of it to the Vandals!" To learn
more about giving to the College of Business and Economics, contact Diane
Lugar at (208) 885-7148 or visit www.cbehome.uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3