[Vision2020] Al Gore's 'Lie' Breaks Records Relevance?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:42:25 PST 2007

Dave et. al.

Thanks for your forceful comments on these issues...

While I was reading the Boston Globe article, offered via a web link in my
on climate change, that has sometimes been censored by our government, I was
struck by the following few paragraphs, stating vehemently that the time for
action to slow human induced global warming is now:

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/02/05/too_hot_to_handle/?page=3

Those models reveal a miserable situation at present, but a dire one in the
years ahead. In his December speech to the Geophysical Union, he noted that
carbon dioxide emissions are ''now surging well above" the point where
damage to the planet might be limited. Speaking to a reporter from The
Washington
Post, he put it bluntly: Having raised the earth's temperature 1 degree
Fahrenheit in the last three decades, we're facing another increase of 4
degrees over the next century. That would ''imply changes that constitute
practically a different planet." The technical terms for those changes
include drought, famine, pestilence, and flood.

''It's not something we can adapt to," he continued. ''We can't let it go on
another 10 years like this."

And that's what makes him so dangerous now. He's not just saying that the
world is warming. He's not just saying we're the cause. He's saying: *We
have to stop it now*. Not wait a few decades while Exxon Mobil keeps making
record profits. Not wait a few decades until there's some painless new
technology like hydrogen cars that lets us drive blithely into the future.
Not even wait a few *years *until the current administration can cut and run
from Washington.

The president, just this week, said that we've become ''addicted to oil,"
which is a little as though Abe Lincoln suddenly noticed the South had
slaves. Bush's package of fixes-a little money for nuclear, for clean coal,
for wind power-goes in the right direction, but so slowly as to be a
gesture, not a policy. If we want to keep a semblance of the planet we were
born on to, we have to act decisively, expensively, quickly, and *now*.

You can argue with Hansen if you want. But you better bring a pretty big
data set with you. He's been right so far.

*Bill McKibben, a scholar in residence at Middlebury College, is the author
of ''The End of Nature" and eight other books on environmental topics.*
------
Ted Moffett