[Vision2020] Mardi-Gras

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 1 09:37:55 PST 2007

As a relative newcomer to town, having only been here ten years, what was special and "better" about "the Mardi Gras of old"?  Who organized it?  What was done differently?  And actually, what is it like now, not ever having gone out to it.  My sense is that it is a night when live music is available all over town, and that does not seem like a bad thing, so why is it sometimes characterized as now being just a "drunk fest"?

This thought that "Mardi Gras is no longer as good as it once was" is a complaint/regret that I have heard more than a few times in the last five years, and I wonder how the "Mardi Gras of old" might be revived.  It is a fond memory for numbers of people.

I am on the Moscow Arts Commission, and though I have just stepped down as chair as of last month, an effort to revive Mardi Gras might find support on the Commission, particularly if other citizens wanted to participate and help.  A vibrant Mardi
Gras celebration that was more than a "drunk fest" (that seems to be the biggest part of the complaint on Mardi Gras of old's deterioration) might qualify as cultural tourism, something that we are on record as favoring and encouraging.

Any folks out there who can elaborate on the "way it was" and the good things that are missed?

Bruce Livingston