[Vision2020] Mardi Gras RIP

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Mar 1 09:15:52 PST 2007

Greetings:

I just want to add a little more nostalgia from past Moscow Mardi Gras.

What made the parade a big successful was David Giese's art students
making masks and floats out of milk carton material.  It was
fantastic and I realize that David must have exhausted himself
organizing those students every year.

Thanks, David, for inspiring those students as well as the great work
that you continuing to do extend the human imagination.

Nick Gier

At 09:09 AM 3/1/2007, you wrote:
>I just realized that there's probably quite a few newer folks in
>town that are shocked that I would describe Mardi Gras as a "family event".
>
>But Moscow's Mardi Gras of 20 years ago was just that.
>
>My youngest, in gradeschool at the time, was Grand Marshal of the
>parade in 1988 or 89.  There was a look-alike contest to determine
>the Grand Marshal and Anthony won as PeeWee Herman (that was before
>PeeWee disgraced himself : (  of course!)  His sister entered as
>TV's "Punky Brewster".  In all I think there were 6 chosen to ride
>in a white limo in the parade.  Gambino's had an entry with some of
>the waitstaff dressed up as "dancing fishbowls" and Punky Brewster
>got to ride her black and white scooter and hand out candy.  We had
>to hurry back to Gams from the parade because we were slammed for
>lunch. . . everybody in town was busy because the people lined Main
>Street several people deep on both sides of the Judges Stand.  I
>don't remember if that was the same year there was a TV crew from
>New Orleans or not.
>
>PeeWee and Punky (with Dad as chaperone) attended a non alcohol
>venue later that evening.  PeeWee was quite overcome with the number
>of young ladies who asked him to dance and have their picture taken together.
>
>Now, isn't that a better memory than long lines of drunks going to a
>wet t-shirt contests  and isn't that kind of activity going to bring
>business to the downtown?
>
>Ellen Roskovich
>

>----------
><http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2734??PS=47575>With tax season right
>around the corner, make sure to follow these few simple tips.
>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each
part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole
and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our
intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the
sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm