[Vision2020] U of I Sandpoint campus-from this morning's Spokesman

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 11:21:59 PDT 2007

Wow Carl,
  BYU-Idaho in Rexburg is already taking plenty of the mostly LDS students from the South/Southwest part of the state that used to come up to Moscow.

  BSU is taking more of those from the Treasure Valley of course.

  And now this new campus in the fast-growing CDA/Post Falls/Sandpoint area--- seems to be pretty dismal news for the Moscow campus doesn't it?

  Or is that just short-sighted thinking?

  I'm sure it's a boon for the UI system as a whole, but there are only so many students to go around.
  I wonder what input the City of Moscow and the Moscow Chamber of Commerce is having on this deal.
  TL

  "Those 'technicalities' have a name, Bobby. They're called the Bill of Rights."
                                                                   -----Hank Hill

Carl Westberg <carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  UI Sandpoint: 'It's going to happen'

Meghann Cuniff
Staff writer
June 29, 2007

A proposal to open a University of Idaho campus in Sandpoint using private
money needs only the approval of the state Board of Education for
construction bids to open, and members have already expressed support.

“It’s going to happen,” board member Sue Thilo, of Coeur d’Alene, predicted.

Under the proposal, the nonprofit Wild Rose Foundation, operated by
Coldwater Creek Chairman and CEO Dennis Pence, will buy a 77-acre site off
North Boyer Road from the UI for $6.25 million, construct buildings and help
pay for course offerings.

The foundation’s estimated contribution is around $30 million, said Larry
Branen, associate vice president for the university in North Idaho.

The Sandpoint City Council unanimously approved during its Wednesday meeting
conditional-use and development permits Wednesday that will allow
construction on the site currently owned by the UI.

“As far as approving the concept and moving forward, we’re done,” Sandpoint
Mayor Ray Miller said of the city’s role. “As far as turning dirt and
actually doing something, we’ve got to wait for the board.”

The board will consider the proposal at its August meeting in Twin Falls.

Supporters hope to offer classes beginning in fall 2009, Branen said. As
many as 400 students could begin classes there, he said, with room for up to
1,000 students.

UI administrators briefed the board on the proposal in February and heard
largely positive feedback.

Branen was in Sandpoint on Thursday working on a final proposal for the
state board, which is due next week. The plan has grown from when it was
first pitched publicly in February to include more money from the foundation
and more buildings, Branen said.

The campus plan that will be presented to the state board will include a
performing arts building, a student union center, an administrative building
with classroom space and an agriculture and biological sciences building.
The university plans to offer a new “integrated, interdisciplinary
undergraduate degree” at the campus that covers agriculture, natural
resources, biology, the humanities and a range of other areas, Branen said.

If the proposal is approved, UI research programs now located at the
Sandpoint property would move to a nearby 15-acre parcel provided by the
foundation. A portion of the 77-acre property would be given to the Lake
Pend Oreille School District but would revert to the UI if construction
doesn’t start within 20 years.

City Councilman Steve Lockwood suggested approving only the UI portion of
the campus proposal at Wednesday’s meeting, but his motion was voted down
out of concern that the state board would take it to mean the city wasn’t in
full support of the proposal, Miller said.

“The rest of the councilors decided we wanted to send a positive, very
aggressive message,” Miller said. “All in and all, it went fairly smooth.
Which is a no-brainer; it should have.”

Pence started the Coldwater Creek clothing company as a catalog business in
1984 and has experienced booming growth over the past several years.

“It’s a huge company, and he’s recognizing the value of a well-educated work
force,” Thilo said.

Bringing a university campus to the company’s hometown of Sandpoint will
benefit everyone, Miller said.

“Having that facility will attract the kind of businesses we’re trying to
attract,” Miller said. “The businesses that are already here will have the
opportunity to expand and develop their work force.”

Thilo agreed.

“You could say it’s self-serving, but it’s also very generous,” she said.

A phone call to a Coldwater Creek spokesman regarding the proposal was not
returned.

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com