[Vision2020] Maki Keeping Salary???

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Jun 24 21:54:02 PDT 2007

Greetings:

A tenured professor can be removed from his job only in cases of
professional incompetence, a felony conviction, and moral turpitude
(I love that word!).  I think there is sufficient evidence of moral
failing for Professor Maki to sit before his peers and have a full
tenure review.

Back in the 1970s, we objected to a policy that required that every
tenured professor be reviewed automatically every five years.  (This
essentially made our contracts five-year renewable ones.) We went to
court on this with the Homer Ferguson case and now, primarily because
of our efforts, tenure review is called only when a faculty member, a
department chair, or upper administrator requests it.

Before I leave for my rafting trip, I'm going to e-mail Tim White and
request that Maki be reviewed.  I will also remind some of my friends
in electrical engineering that anyone of them can also trigger a review.

If Maki were a tenured philosophy professor, brining in zero research
funds, I would bet you that he would already be in the dock and on
his way out in no time.

Nick Gier, President, IFT Higher Education Council