[Vision2020] Ron Paul

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 20:43:18 PDT 2007

I'm amazed that the topic of "blowback" is so off-limits as well.  I can
understand to a degree, without knowing more about it you might get the
idea that he's being disrespectful of those who lost their lives on 9/11.

For those who don't know, "blowback" basically refers to unintended
consequences of our actions in other areas that come back to haunt us.
I understand that it's a CIA term.  Wikipedia says it comes from the
occasional shrapnel that is flung your way when you are using an
automatic weapon.

So, we go into other sovereign governments (covertly or overtly), mess
with their systems, and now we can't talk about the possible
repercussions of such actions.  I think we were arrogant enough to think
we would never be hurt by it, or too short-sided about how people would
react, or both.

Ron Paul's view, as I understand it, is that we'll have less people
willing to blow themselves up to take us out if we stop poking sticks
into hornet's nests.  It's a pretty common-sense view, in my opinion.

I think the main reaction of the other candidates came from the "blame
game".  You want to blame the individual terrorists that performed the
actions and not our government for stirring up trouble where it
shouldn't have been.  And rightly so, but blame is not an on/off switch,
there's enough to spread around amongst many different areas.

I'm not an isolationist, but I do think that we should respect the
sovereignty of other countries.  We should work to establish equitable
trade deals and treaties, not installing new governments or making deals
with the wrong people because it pleases our CEO overlords.

Paul