[Vision2020] Polygamy

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Jun 14 09:40:34 PDT 2007

Joe

I read the post on polygamy last night. If taken at face value, I do not see anything offensive there.Since you stated whether something is offensive or not depends on your beliefs, I will try to make my position clear. I would promote the traditional family as the best model for raising children and for a stable society. I would not force by law my views on anyone else. As a libertarian I would defend the rights of gays and polygamists to do as they please, so long as everyone involved is of age, not mentally incapacitated and all parties are acting under their free will. I would not promote either as an alternative life stile.
As for using the bible as the rule book, I don't. You can find something in the bible to justify almost anything. I do support religion. It brings order and a meaning for life to many people and is usually a stabilizing force. Some form of the Golden Rule can be found in most religions. Religion can also be a the cause of turmoil as evidenced by  religious conflicts from the being of the human race to the present. Religion though useful is not essential for a compassionate and moral society. Adamant atheism is just another religion.

Roger