[Vision2020] Sam Harris: "Something worth extracting...from Buddhism in particular."

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 16:00:35 PDT 2007

Nick et. al.

Sam Harris is open to the value in religious traditions, but not the demands
for irrational superstitious beliefs for which the evidence is weak.  To
emphasize basing beliefs on reason makes someone a "secular
fundamentalist?"  This seems a misuse of the word "fundamentalist."  Harris
will listen to reason and evidence if it contradicts his views.  A
"fundamentalist" will not.

Perhaps you would like to reconsider labeling Sam Harris in this manner,
along with including him as a member of the "Atheist Brigade," that, as your
phrased it, "seems to forget that we are emotional beings..."

Let's let Sam Harris speak for himself to articulate his arguments regarding
the dangers and harm irrational religious belief, even among so called
religious moderates, poses in a world posed to destroy itself with weapons
of mass destruction. Also read Harris's comments on Buddhism, which he has
studied and practiced, a "religion" he recognizes as having value in its
traditions.  He even indicates he is open to the evidence for "re-birth."
The whole piece in readable at the link immediately below, and the second
link leads to another interview where Harris mentions Jainism as a peaceful
religion, along with more discussion of Buddhism:

http://www.truthdig.com/interview/print/20060403_sam_harris_interview/

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/369_Harris.pdf

*You write passionately in your book about the spirituality of Buddhism. How
do you describe yourself in terms of your spirituality?*

I don't call myself a Buddhist. I recently wrote an article in the Shambhala
Sun, which is one of the more widely read Buddhist magazines, entitled
"Killing the Buddha." I essentially argued that that the wisdom of the
Buddha is trapped in the religion of Buddhism. The teachings of the Buddha,
taken as a whole, probably represent the richest source of contemplative
wisdom that we have, but anyone who values these teachings should get out of
the religion business. It's the wrong message. And, in any case, 99 percent
of Buddhists practice Buddhism as a religion, and therefore are part of the
same egregious discourse.

I think there really is something worth extracting from our contemplative
traditions in general, and from Buddhism in particular. It's a phenomenology
of meditative experience—what people do and realize when they go into a cave
for a year or 10 years and practice meditation. There really is a landscape
there that has been brilliantly articulated in Buddhism, and not so
brilliantly articulated in some of our other contemplative traditions. And
so I think all of this is worth talking about and studying.

But I don't call myself a Buddhist.  and yet, if you asked me how you should
learn to meditate, what books you should read, etc., I'd point you in the
direction of Buddhist techniques of meditation, and to the Buddhist
literature on the subject.

*So you don't need any recourse to the supernatural in Buddhism?*

The core truths of Buddhism, the truth of selflessness, for instance.  It's
simply a fact that it is possible to realize that the ego, as you presently
feel it and conceive of it, is an illusion. You can experience the continuum
of consciousness without the sense of self.  This experience can be had
without believing anything on insufficient evidence. You can simply be
taught to look closely enough at your experience, to de-construct the sense
of self, and then discover what the consequences are of that happening. And
the consequences turn out to be very positive. There's a whole discourse in
Buddhism about the relief of psychological suffering, the transcendence of
self, and the nature of positive human emotions like compassion and loving
kindness. These phenomena have been mapped out with incredible rigor in
Buddhism, and one doesn't need to swallow any mumbo jumbo to find this
discourse useful.

And yet, much that people believe under the guise of Buddhism is dubious:
certainties about re-birth, the idea that one's teacher in the Tibetan
tradition is absolutely the reincarnation of some previous historical
personality—all of this stuff is held rather dogmatically by most Buddhists,
and I think we should be skeptical of it. If people present evidence of
it,—and there's certainly been some interesting studies on the subject of
rebirth—we should look at the evidence.  As someone once said,
"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett