[Vision2020] don't pave paradise

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Mon Jun 11 13:37:20 PDT 2007

The meeting on tuesday morning is an informational meeting.  Ken Helm
will update people on the progress of the work being done from the
top of the Lewiston Hill to Thorne Creek and also on where the Thorne
Creek to Moscow project stands.  It is not the last opportunity to
impact the decision on the new route.  In fact, tomorrow's meeting
probably will have no impact on that decision but people should show
up anyway and pester Ken with questions (sorry Ken!).  The ITD
submitted three choices to the feds (one from the west, one from the
central area and one from the east).  Supposedly the feds are only
going to approve or deny the projects (or recommend changes) and send
them back to ITD.  Some time in the future, perhaps next fall or
winter, the ITD will come back and present the three proposed routes
and I believe that is where public input will be taken again.

That being said, I believe the ITD absolutely prefers the Paradise
Ridge route (for whatever reasons) and will try to select that
route.  Whether or not it's a done deal, I have no idea but I have
always felt that it is true.  However, gut feelings are not proof.
The time to impact their decision is during the next round of public
hearings where people will be able to voice their opinions.

Having written all that, I just checked the ITD web page and then
linked to the Thorne Creek project page (http://
www.northwestmedia.net/us95/).  More current info is available there
as well as links to other information such as previous public input.
I suggest everyone check it out and prepare to show up for the public
hearings whenever they happen.  If, after reading the ITD web pages,
you have more questions, Ken's email is:
thorncreekroadtomoscow at itd.idaho.gov

SB