[Vision2020] Lewiston Letters: Two Topics

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 10 08:56:04 PDT 2007

There is an interesting letter to the editor today in the Lewiston Tribune, by Patricia Tutty entitle "More care needed" (p. 3F). She writes: "Society needs to pick up the costs of mental health treatment just as it pays for police protection." I agree.

There is also an absurd letter written by George Ghiselin entitled "Homosexuality forbidden" (2F). He writes: "In the New Testament, he [God?] declares homosexuality to be the lowest point in the pathway to perversion. When a culture embraces homosexuality, that's the end of the line." Ghiseline cites no Biblical authority for this claim; he only mentions a book written by a contemporary author, claiming that the fall of Rome was due to the fact that "14 of the last 15 emperors were homosexual." This strikes me as nuts.

Two letters, two causal claims. One seems to me to be spot-on, the other crazy. My guess is that someone with a different political perspective would think differently. What do you think?

--
Joe Campbell