[Vision2020] Christ is Commander-in-Chief

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 10:21:15 PDT 2007

Hi Gary,
Many people seem to be fingering Muslims as being more violent than other
peoples.  I am trying to understand where the solid ground is for that kind
of accusation. Are you saying that defining ones spiritual life through
interpretations of the Quran vs. other religious beliefs raises ones ability
to consider and insight violence ?
Or are there more territorial and social cultural issues that underlie this
issue. To me, there are peoples from certain parts of the world, where Islam
just happens to be the predominating religion that are acting against what
they perceive as serious outside interference. There is a struggle against
overbearing imperialistic interests and land occupations. The
destabilization in the middle east is fraught with complexed property
disputes. The Dome of the rock on top of Solomon’s temple is a good example.
It may be that  Abrahamic based religions can be co-opted easily by zealots
to support their own cause, and so these are used  as a crutch. I can agree,
that happens. But that does not make the religion itself the force driving
violent activity. I can agree that there is a lot of violence stemming from
a part of the world where Islam is the predominant religion. But is it
really Islam that’s the problem, or is it something else? I think its
something else and using Islam as an identifier for a foundational
explanation of the problem is wrong .  Please help me more clearly
understand your concept of Muslim associated violence.
Dave