[Vision2020] Spam, Bots, and Porn

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 17:58:19 PDT 2007

I agree with you whole-heartedly.  We drink the same kool-aid.  I'm
running Debian Etch right now, because I like the stability even if I am
a little behind the curve sometimes with Debian stable.

Linux isn't just for geeks anymore.  Now power users and/or normal users
with geek support can have a go at it and have it work for them.  I
follow the Wine project, which allows you to run Windows code on Linux,
but it's not far enough along yet for the average user to run their
favorite Windows programs.  That's really the downside.  There is
usually something out there in linux-land they can use, but they still
have to make the switch.  Quicken -> GnuCash, Photoshop -> GIMP, etc.
It's improving fast, though.

It's great if you are either computer-savvy enough that you don't mind
(or even enjoy) tinkering a bit, or if you simply use the system as a
device to read mail, surf the net, and look at pictures of the
grandkids.  It's encroaching steadily on that middle ground, though.
It's also moving very fast.  Two years from now, it will be a completely
different story.  Linux has come a long way in the last two years.

I'd have no beef with Microsoft if they'd learn to compete on a fair
field rather than putting their efforts into changing the rules.  They
would have to redesign a lot of their core technology to be safer by
design, but they have the money and the brain trust to make it happen.
It's a pity that they waste it on half-assed attempts to duck tape their
systems in an attempt to make them more secure.  Like the sub-system in
Vista that asks you if you want to allow or cancel all the time.  Want
to delete an icon on the desktop?  You'll have to click "Allow".  Want
to completely hose your network settings?  Go ahead!

Paul

P.S.  Do you know of any local linux user groups?  I think there's one
in Couer d'Alene, but with the U of I here, we should have one here too.