[Vision2020] Another Contemplation for Mr. Schwaller

Bob Herodotus bherodotus at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 09:25:56 PDT 2007

Dear Mr. Schwaller,

You have noted that you are so new to our community that you
are “still educating [yourself] on the history of this rather
unfortunate mess [Sitler], MSD’s woes, and many of the other community
issues at large.” You have also noted that you are not Doug Wilson,
have never met Doug Wilson, and are not familiar with the disingenuous
machinations of Doug Wilson; so I want to help you in your education as
it relates to the subject of Douglas Wilson; after all, I am the
Unofficial Father of Vision 2020 History. Please bear with me.

You
will recall that a member of Christ Church caught Steven Sitler
molesting one of his children, and a few days later Douglas Wilson
discovered the unthinkable took place on his watch in his church. Now
let me place this historical fact in another context for you. In one of
his books, Wilson wrote this:

“Violent rape is a
judgment of God upon a people. . . This does not justify the
perpetrators; it is simply the recognition that when disaster befalls a
city, sexual disaster for the women is part of this. . . Violent rape
is God’s judgment on a culture, and individual women who are part of
that culture are included in the judgment. . . . We see the same
judgment at work in disintegrating cultures: ‘Because sentence against
an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons
of men is fully set in them to do evil’ (Eccl. 8:11). Here the rape is
not being perpetrated by foreign soldiers, but is the result of
citizens turning on one another. . . But when God’s hand of judgment is
heavy upon a people, women are in far greater danger of sexual assault
than at other times.” (Douglas Wilson, Fidelity: What It Means To Be a
One-Woman Man [Moscow: Canon Press, 1999] 82, 83)

Accordingly,
Pastor Wilson affirms that “citizens turning on one another” and
“violent rape” are “God’s judgment on a culture.” Further, he states,
“when God’s hand of judgment is heavy upon a people, women are in far
greater danger of sexual assault than at other times.” Now if you apply
Wilson’s standard and argue from the weak to the weaker, i.e. from
“women” (weak) to “children” (weaker), then you may argue that “when
God’s hand of judgment is heavy upon a people, *children* are in far
greater danger of sexual assault than at other times.”

Given
this principle, you may conclude that a Kirk pedophile turning on Kirk
citizens and having his way with Kirk children for 18 months falls into
the category of “violent rape” and “God’s judgment,” at least by
Wilson’s standard. And when you throw in Sitler’s West Virginia spree
in summer 2003, the judgment appears much worse, at least as far as the
CREC is concerned. Whatever you believe, Mr. Schwaller, I am confident
that the Judge of all the Earth has done right, at least by Wilson’s
standards.

But my point in calling these awful facts to
your attention is not to rub your nose in “God’s judgment.” You have
convinced me that you neither fear God nor regard man, and that you
have no more concept of human decency than Sitler or Wilson. Indeed, I
believe that if you knew the victims saw you right now, you wouldn’t
give a rip. What do you care? IT’S ALL ABOUT DOUG.

Nevertheless,
I think it’s important for the readers of Vision2020 as well as lurkers
from the Kirk to have a little perspective. Douglas Wilson learned of
Sitler’s crimes on March 11, 2005.. After that, we don’t know when
Sitler began confessing the names of his victims; we don’t know how
long it took him to remember the names he confessed; and we don’t know
when Wilson decided to conceal this information from the Kirk. But we
do know this much.

On March 11, 2005, Douglas Wilson had
good cause to examine his heart, his doctrine, and his manner of life,
because by his standard “God’s hand of judgment” had just fallen on the
Kirk’s “disintegrating culture.” We know that of all men, Pastor Wilson
had an absolute obligation to exhaust himself searching for more
possible victims of Steven Sitler, and that this obligation included an
exhaustive search within the local community. Indeed, if any man had
occasion to grow up and act mature, Pastor Douglas Wilson was that man.

Unfortunately,
this was not the case. We know this because exactly 20 days after
Wilson discovered that “God’s hand of judgment” had just fallen on the
Kirk, or less than three weeks after he learned that a serial pedophile
ravaged Kirk children for 18 months, Doug Wilson resolved for time and
eternity to show the world exactly where his pastoral priorities lay.
The great man of God found time to play an April Fools’ Day joke on the
local community:

http://dougwils.com/index.asp?Action=Anchor&CategoryID=1&BlogID=961

Think
about it, Mr. Schwaller, the fool had no idea how many more
undiscovered victims remained in his church (just as he still does
not), but 20 days after he learned a child rapist laid waste the lambs
of the flock, Pastor Wilson found time to yank some locals’ chains,
hoping to get a good laugh at their expense. In case your math is off,
that’s almost one day per confessed victim. What a funny guy. Do you
think the victims laughed, Mr. Schwaller? I don’t.

But
perhaps I expect too much. Perhaps April Fools’ gags help Wilson
reflect on his calling, or maybe April Fools’ Day is the Kirk
equivalent of the Day of Atonement. I don’t know and I don’t care. Of
this much, however, I am certain. When God delivers the final blow to
the Kirk’s rotten culture (which is currently in motion), Pastor Wilson
will have no occasion for laughter, he will have no one to mock or
belittle, and he will have nowhere to run. In fact, he should know by
now that God will make him the punch line that day, because Scripture
says,

“Because you disdained all my counsel, and would
have none of my rebuke, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock
when your terror comes, when your terror comes like a storm, and your
destruction comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon
you. Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek
me diligently, but they will not find me. Because they hated knowledge
and did not choose the fear of the LORD, they would have none of my
counsel and despised my every rebuke. Therefore they shall eat the
fruit of their own way, and be filled to the full with their own
fancies.” (Proverbs 1:25–31)

Herodotus