[Vision2020] Road trip

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jul 31 05:24:14 PDT 2007

I usually do my best to avoid interstates. California being
California, unless you have a lot of time for driving you have to
eventually get on I 5 because there isn't any other good/fast way
through the Central Valley. You could cut over to the coast through
the Trinity Mountains out of Redding, and pick up 101 through the
redwoods. Bonus on this route is it is the shortest in miles:

Moscow to Colfax to Washtucna (Hwy 26).  (Or take 12 west out of
Lewiston). South at Washtucna through Kahlotus to 395. South to Hwy
12 towards Walla Walla, west along the Columbia at Wallula to
Umatilla. Cross the Columbia at Umatilla to WA 14 on the north bank,
west on 14 to Maryhill bridge back to the south bank and I 84. West
on 84 for a few miles to Biggs Junction. South at Biggs to Bend.

Stay in Bend overnight.

South out of Bend through Klamath Falls to Weed, CA where you pick up
I 5 South. Redding is on the very north end of the Central Valley:
either stay on I 5 towards Sacramento/I 80 for the fast drive, or
head west through the Trinity's to 101 and then south to San Fran.

If you go for the fast road, Davis is a good stopping point about two
hours out of San Francisco. Any place on 101 is great, with
Garberville high on my list.

I make it in 18 hours via Bend/Redding/Davis. add another 6-8 hours
for the 101 route.

m.