[Vision2020] News of the weird

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:06:53 PDT 2007

Got this from a sports board I read........ From the 7/27 Idaho Press
Tribune.

Vasquez questions Idaho Law School

IMMIGRATION: Former Senate candidate says institution illegally defends
foreign nationals

The Associated Press

MOSCOW — A former Canyon County commissioner and vocal foe of illegal
immigration says instructors and students at the University of Idaho Law
School are breaking the law by offering free legal representation to people
who face deportation or other immigration proceedings.
   “Federal law states that anyone who aids and abets an illegal alien in
remaining in the United States is committing a felony," Vasquez told the
Lewiston Tribune.
   Monica Schurtman, a UI professor and supervising attorney for the Tribal
Clinic, laughed off Vasquez’s criticism.
    “That’s really funny,” she said. “What we try to do is assist our
clients in a well-established legal system to remain legally in the United
States.” Schurtman said the immigration aspect was added to the clinic in
2000 when she saw immigration as a growing concern in the state.
   “In 2000, it was obvious to me that there was a huge jump in the
immigrant population coming,” Schurtman said. “It’s something I’ve always
been passionate about.”
   Vasquez ended a Senate campaign after running out of money, but said he
is considering again challenging U.S. Rep. Bill Sali, R-Idaho.
   “If they are a legal alien, and they have committed a crime, and they
have been convicted, then their legal status is revoked and they're
deported,"  Vasquez said. “If they are an illegal alien, they deserve no
representation; they should be apprehended immediately and deported. How
difficult is that to understand?”
   Schurtman said an example of the type of work the clinic does was a
Chinese immigrant detained by the Immigration and Naturalization Service for
four years. The Chinese government was after the man for violating China’s
marriage laws by having more than one child.
   Arguing before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, UI students won the
case and the man was given political asylum.