[Vision2020] E85

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Jul 26 06:51:36 PDT 2007

I just read a letter to the editor in the Trib that says the Stinker
Station at the top of Thain Grade is selling E85 ethanol blend (85%
ethanol, 15% gasoline).  Doing some research, I see that E85 has an
octane rating of 105.  The feller also claims in his letter that it's
$0.35 cheaper than regular gasoline.  I've read in other places that,
even though they don't quite get the fuel mileage out of the E85, they
still come out ahead dollar-wise due to the price difference.

Anyone know if there's any available here in town?  I'd like to try it
out in my dirt bike or ATV.  Not sure if it will work in my rigs since
they aren't "flex-fuel" engines.  It probably won't work in them, but in
my KTM525, 105 octane would go a long ways toward preventing detonation.

DC