[Vision2020] : 11 year-old Montana girl shoots twohome intruders

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 25 17:36:38 PDT 2007

Saundra says: "I'm happy to respond to your push, Kai, with a shove:  I can dig up as many stories highlighting the tragedy of guns in homes as you can pro-gun stories.  Here's a *local* example, and there are a heartbreaking number of similar tragedies across the country."

Kai responds: "Between 1996-1999 459 children under the age of 5 died from accidental drowning in non-pool home accidents. Bathtubs accounted for 292 deaths, 5-gallon buckets were second with 58 deaths, even the toilet claimed 16 lives. ... It doesn't matter whether it was an accidental shooting or an accidental drowning. The fact remains, the ADULT failed in his or her responsibilty. Is the death of a child any less tragic if it is by drowning or being left in a vehicle?"

I think you're missing the point, Kai. One suggested justification for unrestricted gun laws is protection. If it turns out that there are more folks who die by accidental gun death than folks who thwart murderers, robbers, etc., then that original argument looses its steam: guns are more likely to harm than help. No one claims that pools or bathtubs are needed for protection, so the comparison is irrelevant to Saundra's point.

Not that your comments are irrelevant altogether, though. Ultimately, the responsibility for gun accidents rests on adults and for anyone who happens to own a gun that is an important fact to keep in mind!

Best, Joe