[Vision2020] Lose/Lose Situation--Moscow School Board Won't Negotiate

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 16:23:36 PDT 2007

Bruce,

  It appears that no matter how this goes down, the taxpayer loses because it will have to pay the legal fees for MSD. The only way the taxpayer could win is if MSD would negotiate. But since MSD is not spending its own money, it gets it from the taxpayer with no work or effort, it has no incentive to negotiate. The administrators also cannot get fired or get a salary cut, they just fire others to fit the budget, so it appears they don't personally have reasons to negotiate either.

  Thanks for legal assessment of the situation.

  Donovan

Bruce and Jean Livingston <jeanlivingston at turbonet.com> wrote:
          The typical situation under the "American Rule" is that each party bears the cost of its own attorney's fees.  Under the "English Rule," the losing party bears the cost of its own attorney fees, PLUS the cost of the prevailing party's legal fees.  The only typical circumstances in the USA where one party bears the cost of the prevailing party's attorney fees is when a contract or statute authorizes an exception to the so-called American Rule and affirmatively imposes the prevailing party's attorney fees upon the loser.  An example of statutes that authorize the shifting of attorney fees are employment discrimination statutes for age, sex, race and religious discrimination, (known as the ADEA and Title VII), and for violation of one's constitutional rights, (42 U.S.C. sec. 1983).  I believe there are some environemntal laws that also provide for fee shifting.  But the typical situation is that each party bears their own legal fees.

  To my knowledge, there is no contract between Dr. Weitz and the MSD that is the basis for this action and would provide for a fee-shifting arrangement.  Likewise, the state statutes governing school district levies and elections have no provision, so far as I know, that switches the burden of both sides attorney's fees to the losing party.

  So in this case, probably both parties are going to be bearing the cost of their own attorney's fees.  And probably both will be "paying big time."

  Bruce Livingston