[Vision2020] campaign contributions

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 19:19:05 PDT 2007

Tom,

  Moscow accounts for over 70% of Latah. If you count the people living just outside of it, the number gets even larger. So there is very little distinction.

  I believe you need money to run for office and to stay in office. The time required and cost of elections require it. Yes, some people earn that money by working, investments, special interests, or through friends and family giving it to them, but you need money.

  I am horrible at raising money. That is why I am poor. You need to be good at getting money to get into and stay in office. Being in office requires a great deal of time, time taken away from being able to earn money as well as the cost of elections.

  I think my point is proved if you look at elected office holders and go up the chain. Most mayors are more wealthy than the average person in the city. State Senators are wealthier than most people in their district. US Senators are for the most part, all millionaires. US Representatives are pretty close to being millionaires as well at this point.

  You need time and money to serve in political office. I know of few if any on the bottom end of economic scale holding a politically powerful position.

  Best,

  Donovan

Tom Ivie <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Donovan,
My discussion was of Moscow.  I don't know any of the elected officials of the other cities in Latah County.  A politician can raise all of the funds they need for the process and not use any of their own money.  Of course, I am only speaking of the local level -city/county.  If you can't do the "ask" you shouldn't run.  If people are excited about you running, then they will donate.  If you can't get donations you might consider not running or dropping out because they just aren't excited enough about you.

I know you know it takes a lot more than money to get elected. Ask anyone who has ever run for office.  I was thinking that you had run some campaigns in the past.  I don't know about campaigns at the college level, but I would think the donations would be slim and that would require more out of your own pocket?  -Tom (Ivie)

Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:     Tom Hansen,

  I was talking to Tom Ivie. Just so we are clear and don't have this confusion again, I don't ever care to hear your opinion.

  Best,

  Donovan

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Arnold inquires:

  “The average household income in Latah is $30,000 a year. Can you name 2, or just 15%, of the over 30 elected officials (not counting precinct chairs) in all of Latah that has a household income below that amount? Please let us know.”

  I have absolutely no idea, Arnold.  Nor do I care to know.  It is simply none of my business.

  I vote for people that reflect and support my priorities, whether it be ensuring neighborhood safety, support for police unions, or simply enforcing zoning codes.

  I never consider a candidate’s financial worth when I mark my ballot.

  And you?
    Seeya round town, Moscow.

"We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students. The college students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)