[Vision2020] Al Gore's Fish Dinner Turns Out Green

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Jul 19 18:28:27 PDT 2007

If Courtney apologizes on his blog, I'll be amazed.  Pleased, but amazed nonetheless.  Because rarely have I met anyone as churlish, stubborn, insensitive and ungracious as Dale Courtney.  How I would love to be shown a different side.keely"And these women that you spit on as they try to change their worlds/Are immune to your consultations . . . they're quite aware of what they're going through"(With apologies to David Bowie)> From: thansen at moscow.com> To: vision2020 at moscow.com> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:15:41 -0700> Subject: [Vision2020] Al Gore's Fish Dinner Turns Out Green> > After all those so many attacks on Al Gore, how many retractions are we> likely to see?> > My guess is none - not even from our local Blight-Mind blogster, Dale> Courtney.> > >From the Telegraph Medial Group at:> > http://tinyurl.com/ysuyzc> > "But the fish enjoyed by the Gores were not endangered or illegally caught."> > ----------------------------------------------------------> > Al Gore's fish dinner turns out green> By Catherine Elsworth> > Al Gore, the world's most high profile green campaigner, was at the centre> of an embarrassing row yesterday after the serving of a rare fish at his> daughter's Beverly Hills wedding.> > Just one week after Live Earth, his global musical spectacular to raise> awareness of environmental issues, the former vice-president attended a> rehearsal dinner for his daughter's marriage that featured Chilean sea bass.> Sarah Gore, 28, a medical student, was married to the Los Angeles> businessman Bill Lee at the Beverly Hills Hotel on July 14. > > The night before the wedding, People magazine reported, the Gores were at a> dinner for 75 at the nearby Crustacean restaurant where a six-course tasting> menu included Chilean sea bass - also known as Patagonian toothfish.> > The reaction was swift: writing in in the Australian Daily Telegraph,> Rebecca Keeble of Humane Society International, a conservation pressure> group, complained of the danger to the species from "from illegal,> unregulated and unreported fishing activities".> > She noted that "more than 50 per cent of toothfish traded is illegally> caught, and includes juveniles vital to the ongoing toothfish population".> She called on the US government to help crack down on illegal fishing by> sanctioning Spain for allowing its nationals to fish illegally for the> species in conservation areas.> > And in the meantime, she acidly suggested, "Al Gore could choose something> else to eat". Her attack on the former vice-president, and his implied> hypocrisy, were rapidly picked up by bloggers around the world.> > But the fish enjoyed by the Gores were not endangered or illegally caught.> > Rather, the restaurant later confirmed, they had come from one of the> world's few well-managed, sustainable populations of toothfish, and caught> and documented in compliance with Marine Stewardship Council regulations.> The Gores' spokesman, Kalee Kreider, admitted that the fish has been on the> menu, but said: "The Gores absolutely agree with this humane society and the> rest of the environmental community about illegally caught Chilean sea bass.> > "The problem is huge. This is unfortunate, we have been in touch with the> society today. The really important thing is that people become more aware> of this issue."> > ----------------------------------------------------------> > Seeya round town, Moscow.> > Tom Hansen> Moscow, Idaho> > "We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students. The college> students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."> > - Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)> > > =======================================================>  List services made available by First Step Internet, >  serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.   >                http://www.fsr.net                       >           mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com> =======================================================