[Vision2020] Philosophy (was: campaign contributions)

Kenneth Marcy kmmos at moscow.com
Wed Jul 18 01:39:20 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 20:09, Donovan Arnold responded to Joe Campbell:
<snip>
> Third, and final,
> since you are philosophy teacher, you're biased in thinking that everyone
> can be a philosophy teacher rather than understanding standing some
> people want to be welders, carpenters, constructionists, nurses,
> drafters, operators, truckers, and machinists,--occupations that actually
> produce public wealth, not drain from it.

I do not write here for Professor Campbell, rather for myself. Not everyone
can be a professional philosophy teacher, but many individuals, skilled
manual laborers among them, regularly inculcate in others portions of their
personal philosophies by their deeds as well as their diction. These
lessons may have as substantial, if not as wide-spread, effects on others
as taking a university philosophy class.

The suggestion that philosophy drains public wealth is not well guided.
Philosophical studies, whether or not in a classroom, have better prepared
many persons for lifetimes of excellence in many fields of endeavor, from
the arts to the sciences, and from sports fields to financial markets. From
the simple notion that philosophy students often earn better test scores to
the more subtle observations that philosophically aware folks tend to think
more critically, analyze more correctly, and write fewer incorrect texts,
it is straightforward to conclude that philosophical studies increase the
positive qualities of lives, and that is as surely a sign of contemporary
wealth as it was a desirable life goal two millennia ago.

To the extent that more correct thinking results in fewer public policy
mistakes, it surely leads to less erroneous public expenditure of treasure
and lives, which is a conservation, not a drain, of public wealth.

Kenneth Marcy