[Vision2020] women in authority and leadership

Matt Decker mattd2107 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:45:52 PDT 2007

For those of you that feel women should be put into combat situations,
mainly infantry orientated units let me give you my side. And please
withhold from calling me a sexist, if you must call me anything, call me a
realist. These points below are the ONLY points I stand on and nothing more.

1. Most women can't handle a infantry payload. Some can and more power to
them, but majority can't. Not saying that I'm basing my opinion on this
principle, but it does serve an ideal. EX. When I was in, we had many
ops/humps that consisted of a 20+ mile hike/hump with a 40+ pound pack on
our backs, not including the weapons and gear, another 30 pounds. Many of
men didn't make it. Dehydration, broken bones, etc. One mission was a one
week operation with vector packs. We did this mission for future potential
Korea conflicts. In other words mountianous area of 7000 ft plus. Our packs
had 100 pounds not including the 30 ponds of water, ammo, and other such
items. Like I said If a women can do this more power to her.

This is the weakest points of my arguement

2. There was a common phrase in the marines, more like a joke, in which I
saw true too many times.When is the only time you see a WM(women Marine) not
pregnant,,,,,,,,,,,, in boot camp(being that Marines males and females are
seperated during that phase). In a infantry unit 40-45 men will go into
combat. Each time someone falls out of position or has a medical problem,
another has to either fill that spot or most likely create a void. Taking
away from the unit. This can greatly increase the chance that another unit
unit member will get injured or killed.

Let's say that a unit consists of 45 people 35 of those are male, I will
promise you that 6 of those will be pregnant within six months. With a bunch
of horny males jerking off too sears catalogs, what else would you suspect.
This loss ONLY hurts the whole unit, taking away from the time the military
has put forth in training these fine women. I don't know about all of you,
but if I'm going to combat I would rather have a full force than one that
has been depleted due to a curable cause.

3. Fratinization (spelling, Yup I know I will never win a spelling bee but
what the hell),  has destroyed units. I have seen way too many times women
humping upper ranks to get their goals met, what ever that be. Meaning that
someone, yet again has to fill a void of a now vacant spot. Whether that be
the first person through the door or a tow gunner, since now they are a desk
jockey. Believe it or not people this happens everyday. There is no need for
it in a combat situation. This only causes animosity throughout the whole
unit, which I might remind you is one of the goals,the unit.

4. Of course there are other items such as women serving in a infantry
situation, in a middle east area. Or the possible outcome of beheaded women
displayed all over the news.

These items are dear to me. Only because Ive seen some of them too often.
I've never been in combat, and commend those that have sacrificed, Women and
Men. I just don't feel women should ever serve in an infantry unit period.
Not because of the physical  part, but what happens to units and how much it
can do to that unit.

If and only if these items can be fixed, then will I feel in full
confidence, that women should be in INFANTRY organizations.

Oh yeah and before anyone asks "why is it that other noncombatant units due
fine with women, so why can't infantry deal with it" approach. let me just
remind you that infantry units deal mostly with numbers. Don't believe me
check out WW2, korea, Vietnam, First gulf war, and the one now.

Take care

Matt