[Vision2020] Correction: Re: George W Told the Nation

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 01:48:01 PDT 2007

All-

Yikes!

The sentence below that reads:

"The secularization and westernization of Iraq was also one reason Bin Laden
and Al Qaeda were at odds."

is of course absurd.  It should read "...was also one reason Bin Laden and
Saddam were at odds."

On 7/17/07, Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:

> All-
>
> http://www.newamericancentury.org/
>
> As Sunil and I pondered years ago (it's hard to believe that the invasion
> was in 2003?), as was laid out explicitly in the neo-con think tank the "The
> Project For A New American Century," the invasion of Iraq involved pursuing
> long term strategic interests in the whole region, confining Iran or
> achieving regime change there being one of the main goals of this
> imperialist endeavor. Iran is viewed by many as the greatest long term
> Islamic Fundamentalist regime threat.  Iraq was just a stepping stone in
> this effort, and Iraq's oil reserves, though huge, are much smaller than the
> rest of the Middle East's combined.  Our military in Iraq offers a
> presence to secure oil resources all over the Middle East, with Saudi Arabia
> still listed as the most oil rich nation on Earth.  And our intention was to
> build permanent military bases in Iraq.  I believe we will still have
> military bases in Iraq in 50 years.
>
> What is amazing, is that I think some of the neo-cons really believed
> their own idealistic ideology about spreading democracy in the Middle
> East via the invasion of Iraq.  With all the effort to point out the terror
> and oppression of the Saddam regime, some forget that Iraq was more secular
> and westernized than many other nations in the Middle East, certainly more
> than US ally Saudi Arabia and US enemy Iran. This might have led to a
> mistaken assumption Iraq was ready for a western style democracy, if only
> Saddam was gone, a democracy that would seed the Middle East with democratic
> movements.

The secularization and westernization of Iraq was also one reason Bin Laden
and Al Qaeda [Saddam, not "Al Qaeda"] were at odds.

> Bin Laden regarded Saddam as a corrupt leader betraying the Islamic
> religion.

 This is one reason Al Qaeda was not given haven in Iraq under Saddam!  How