[Vision2020] Boxing boys (was Beat Goes On)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Jul 14 07:47:37 PDT 2007

Given that I'm a woman and not a boy, I'm unlikely to "piss on" anyone's parade -- and I'm perhaps less likely to see the life lesson learned that Gary sums up with "keep your gloves up and your chin down."What I am likely to comment on, and will, is that boxing is reprehensible.  Kids fighting with the encouragement of their daddies is reprehensible.  I don't believe, however, there is a word strong enough to describe church-sponsored, daddy-encouraged, reprehensible kid-vs.-kid boxing.  Which, by the way, was done on the eve of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, a time when many other other hyper-sensitive, feminized Christian churches gathered to pray for peace, pray for our soldiers, pray for the victims of war, and offer comfort to those who were grieving.  Of course, worshiping as they do the God of relationship and reconciliation, I suppose they can do no other.  And may our God bless them for it.Would it have been too much to ask that the wee little men of Christ Church and Logos lay down their arms on the eve of a war that was guaranteed to kill and maim thousands of people, shipwreck our country, and plunge the world into utter chaos?  Would it be too much to presume that a theology of testosterone be seen as woefully deficient -- and dangerous?  And would the larger community see that when certain things are bad, they're even worse when done, and bragged about, by a church?Huh?  Please?  Anyone?Or have we all been pummeled with so many blows, here and elsewhere, that we just don't give a damn anymore and have turned our annoyance to the critics?Churches have disagreed on theology and practice for centuries, and Christianity has survived.  It will survive Christ Church, too -- although I don't think CC will survive the return of its namesake.  But this isn't a pews-vs.-chairs, hymns-vs.-pop music, drinking and movies-vs.-stern legalism fight.  This is a group that clearly embraces something, but that "something" is glaringly at odds with the Gospel of the Sacrificial Lamb, Jesus Christ.   If it doesn't bother anyone else, at least understand why it bothers those of us who follow Christ and others who are women and men of good will and what Doug Wilson would call a "feminized" moral compass.keely"And these women that you spit on as they try to change their worlds/Are immune to your consultations . . . they're quite aware of what they're going through"(With apologies to David Bowie)From: jampot at adelphia.netTo: thansen at moscow.com; gussie443 at hotmail.com; privatejf32 at hotmail.com; vision2020 at moscow.comDate: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:40:27 -0700Subject: Re: [Vision2020] AND THE BEAT GOES ON!

According to Ms. Roscovich and Ms. Mix it's all
about the "danger" and the "physical aggression." In what way do the pieces of
paper that you refer to make the event different, more feminine?  Does the
notion of men getting together to have a bit of fun with other men leave you
feeling uncomfortable? Or is it really more about the who then anything having
to do with the what?

It is my understanding that the event happened
under the tutelage of a retired professional boxer, that ABA approved headgear
was worn by all participants, that absolutely no one was seriously injured (one
punch was expertly blocked by the nose of one of the warriors but he
lived to tell the tale and more importantly learned a valuable lesson in
keeping his gloves up  and his chin down.) and that a good time
was had by all. With all this in mind, what place is it of yours to piss on
someone else's parade?