[Vision2020] Bush Administration Damages National Security Outing Undercover CIA Operative

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:29:42 PDT 2007

All-

Scooter Libby was complicit in a coordinated effort in the Bush
administration that jeopardized the protections that undercover CIA
operatives require to protect national security, via the outing of Valerie
Plame's undercover CIA status.  These protections are in place to enable CIA
operatives to earn the trust, on foreign soil, of informants who might be
killed if it is discovered that they were cooperating with the CIA.  The
outing of a CIA undercover operative sends a message to all those
cooperating with the CIA in foreign nations that they cannot rely on the US
government to ensure that their cooperation will not be exposed.  This
results in a serious impairment of intelligence gathering efforts.  And this
behavior came from an administration that has made protecting national
security and pursuing the war on terror as a primary campaign issue!

This was a deliberate effort to intimidate Plame and Wilson, because of
Wilson's exposure of Bush administration fabrications regarding Iraq WMDs;
and to send a message to others who might challenge the Bush
administration's fabrications on Iraq WMDs.

To minimize the seriousness of what Libby did by reference to Sandy Berger's
document "theft," even if Berger committed grave violations of law meriting
jail time, is to not take account of the full implications of outing a CIA
undercover operative.  Perjury or obstruction of justice does not describe
the full implications of Libby's cooperation in outing Plame.

Ted Moffett