[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 10 15:14:43 PDT 2007

"The notion that we ought to now go to Baghdad and somehow take control of
the country strikes me as an extremely serious one in terms of what we'd
have to do once we got there. You'd probably have to put some new government
in place. It's not clear what kind of government that would be, how long
you'd have to stay. For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining
the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern in Iraq strikes me as
a classic definition of a quagmire." - Dick Cheney, 1991
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3

------

"I think Rumsfeld, Cheney, and the president made a big mistake in
justifying going into the war in Iraq. They put the emphasis on weapons of
mass destruction." - Gerald R. Ford (July 28, 2004)
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Ford_Iraq_Big_Mistake.mp3

------

>From the July 16, 2007 edition of the Army Times -

U.S. service members who died while supporting combat operations in Iraq,
confirmed by the Defense Department from June 29 through July 5:

Army Spc. James L. Adair, 26, of Carthage, Texas; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st
Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas.

Army Maj. James M. Ahearn, 43, of California; assigned to 96th Civil Affairs
Battalion, 95th Civil Affairs Brigade, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Army Spc. Roberto J. Causor Jr., 21, of San Jose, California; assigned to
the 2nd Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat
Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Marine Lance Cpl. William C. Chambers, 20, of Ringgold, Georgia; assigned to
1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp
Lejeune, North Carolina.

Navy Petty Officer First Class Steven Phillip Daugherty, 28, of Barstow,
California; assigned to an East Coast-based SEAL team.

Army Pfc. Steven A. Davis, 23, of Woodbridge, Virginia; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry
Division, Fort Carson, Colorado.

Army Pfc. Jason E. Dore, 25, of Moscow, Maine; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry
Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

Army Pfc. Andrew T. Engstrom, 22, of Slaton, Texas; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st
Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

Army Sgt. Keith A. Kline, 24, of Oak Harbor, Ohio; assigned to 96th Civil
Affairs Battalion, 95th Civil Affairs Brigade, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Navy Petty Officer First Class Jason Dale Lewis, 30, of Brookfield,
Connecticut; assigned to an East Coast-based SEAL team.

Army Col. Jon M. Lockey, 44, of Fredericksburg, Virginia; assigned to
Headquarters, Department of the Army, Washington, D.C.

Navy Petty Officer First Class Robert Richard McRill, 42, of Lake Placid,
Florida; assigned to an East Coast-based SEAL team.

Army Spc. Michelle R. Ring, 24, of Martin, Tennessee; assigned to the 92d
Military Police Battalion, Fort Benning, Georgia.

Army 1st Lt. Christopher N. Rutherford, 25, of Newport, Ohio; assigned to
the Forward Support Group, 19th Engineer Battalion, Fort Knox, Kentucky.

Army Spc. Jeremy L. Stacey, 23, of Bismarck, Arkansas; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry
Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.

Marine Lance Cpl. Jeremy L. Tinnel, 20, of Mechanicsville, Virginia;
assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, II Marine Expeditionary
Force, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Army Spc. Anthony M.K. Vinnedge, 24, of Okeana, Ohio; assigned to Troop C,
2nd Squadron, 107th Armor Cavalry Regiment, Ohio Army National Guard,
Greenville, Ohio.

June 29 - July 5
Killed: 17; wounded in action: 208

March 19, 2003 - July 5, 2007
Killed: 3,585; wounded in action: 26,558

------

U.S. service members who died while supporting combat operations in
Afghanistan, confirmed by the Defense Department from June 29 through July
5:

Army Spc. Christopher S. Honaker, 23, of Cleveland, North Carolina; assigned
to 2d Battalion, 503d Infantry Regiment (Airborne), 173d Airborne Brigade,
Vicenza, Italy.

Army Sgt. Thomas P. McGee, 23, of Hawthorne, California; assigned to the
546th Military Police Company, 385th Military Police Battalion, Fort
Stewart, Georgia.

Army Pfc. Joseph A. Miracle, 22, of Ortonville, Michigan; assigned to 2d
Battalion, 503d Infantry Regiment (Airborne), 173d Airborne Brigade,
Vicenza, Italy.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Sean K. Mitchell, 35, of Monterey, California; assigned
to the 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group, Stuttgart, Germany.

June 29 - July 5
Killed: 4; Wounded in action: 15

Oct. 10, 2001 - July 5, 2007
Killed: 405; Wounded in action: 1,361

------

National Guard (In Federal Status) and Reserve Mobilized
(as of July 5, 2007)
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2007/d20070705ngr.pdf

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_home.mp3

"If you love this land of the free
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Bring them back from overseas
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
They wanna tangle with their foe
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
With the blood of you and me
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
For the gleam in someone's eyes
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Yeah and we will all turn out
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
To welcome our darlin' girls and boys
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift our voice and sound
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime." -- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.