[Vision2020] Other Reasons for Decline in Military Enlistment

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 18:03:22 PDT 2007

When I attended the Naval Academy, the women there were some of the most
impressive people I've ever met.  They had to be, the competition for a
woman to get into the academy is far more cut-throat than it was for a
male to get in.  They were some of the smartest, most determined, most
capable, and most athletic of the Midshipmen in my class.  They stood
toe-to-toe with the best of the men in everything except raw muscular
strength.  They also went through a tougher time than most at Annapolis,
because Annapolis is probably the most misogynistic of the US military
academies (or at least it was at the time I attended).

I did not read Ed Iverson's article, but I would like to see him hold
his own in any reasonable contest of athleticism or intelligence with
any random female Midshipmen currently attending the academy.  Then, if
he is successful, maybe I'll read his diatribe about the evils of
"feminization" of the military.

Paul