[Vision2020] Managing "Urban Forests": Spokane's Approach

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:52:39 PDT 2007

All-

Spokane has also had recent "aggressive" tree trimming for Avista power line
right of way that has raised complaints:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/voices/story.asp?ID=195775

"This spring, a contractor hired by Avista Corp. to clear branches from
power lines raised hackles by sawing big ugly chunks out of the middles of
trees near Grand Boulevard and 37th Avenue ."

The article also indicates residents sued the City of Spokane for tree
removal for a street widening project!

"Residents sued the city over last year's removal of 17 old trees on South
Bernard Street as part of a street-widening project."

It is interesting that the "urban forest" discussed in this article has been
assessed a value of $300 million dollars.

"Perry figures the entire public part of the urban forest – park trees and
street trees – would be valued around $300 million."

This economic approach to the value of urban trees may be one way to assure
that everything possible and practical is done to save them.

Ted Moffett