[Vision2020] Fw: TIME FOR IDAHO TO TAKE THE LEAD

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Jan 31 14:01:50 PST 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release \(Crapo\)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:47:42 -0800
Subject: TIME FOR IDAHO TO TAKE THE LEAD

FOR RELEASE 	               		CONTACT:   Susan Wheeler (202)
224-5150
Week of February 4, 2007	    	              Laura Thurston
Goodroe (202) 224-7500

		TIME FOR IDAHO TO TAKE THE LEAD
	Guest opinion submitted by Idaho Senator Mike Crapo

Idaho and other Mountain West states are home to amazing natural
resources.  We work hard protecting and conserving these resources,
including abundant native wildlife, in correct balance with our
livelihood and recreational pursuits.  We're fortunate to have science
and technology resources to accomplish the best for wildlife and the
people and communities that interact with these animals.  Last week, the
Fish and Wildlife Service started a 60-day comment period on a proposal
to de-list the Gray Wolf, Northern Rocky Mountain Distinct Population
Segment.  This is the next important step in the journey toward
responsible co-existence of wolves and people in today's Idaho.  Idaho
is more than ready, willing and able to undertake management of wolves
through effective implementation of the state management plan, in a new
environment of sensible de-listing.

One year ago, in the Advanced Notice for Proposed Rulemaking, the
federal government found that the Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf
population was fully biologically recovered.  At that time, the U.S.
Fish and Wildlife Service had approved both Idaho's and Montana's state
wolf management plans.   In a change from last year, delisting in Idaho
and Montana will no longer depend on federal approval of Wyoming's plan.
The current 60-day comment period presents a critical opportunity for
Idahoans to participate in the decision-making process.  The phrase
"speak now or forever hold your peace" cannot be more appropriate right
now; the federal government needs input from Idahoans.  Please make your
voices heard in a constructive manner.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Inspection Service
(USDA/APHIS) recently completed its Fiscal Year 2006 Wolf Activity
Report.  It reported over 70 packs in Idaho--about 650 adult wolves.
There are certainly concerns about wolf predation among ranchers and
hunters:  the report found that approximately 26 of the packs were
involved in livestock predation, and there are ongoing studies about
wildlife predation.  The most effective management of challenges posed
by wolf-human interactions (including the livestock industry and
hunting) rests at the state level, especially now that wolves have not
only been recovered in Idaho, but are thriving.  In fact, when the
federal government brought wolves into Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, the
final Environmental Impact Statement to Introduce Wolves stated that a
"recovered population" would be 100 adult wolves in each of the three
recovery areas.  That number has been greatly exceeded.  With over 85
breeding pairs and over 1,200 wolves in the tri-state area, wolves are
successful and ready for state management.  Idahoans have every right to
manage Idaho wildlife and will succeed with continued proper management,
implemented by state and local experts.

The reintroduction of wolves was, and is, controversial and emotional.
When Idaho takes over daily wolf management, people, wolves and other
affected species will find the right balance.  I, along with the other
members of Idaho's Congressional Delegation, asked the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service to evaluate what Idahoans have accomplished regarding
the recovery of wolves.  Its conclusion: introduction of wolves in Idaho
is a biological success.  Now, the wolf program must also succeed in the
current cultural, political and economic environment.  It's important to
continue operating the existing program in a responsible manner for both
people and species.  As with other wildlife such as deer, elk, mountain
lion and black bear, our state is more than capable of handling
management of yet another of our prized wildlife resources.

I'm confident that the State of Idaho and the Nez Perce Tribe will
professionally manage wolves and assure long-term success that has much
broader, if not unanimous, public support.  To link directly to the
comment period information, please go to my website:
http://crapo.senate.gov.

WORD COUNT:  600

 To link directly to this news release, please go to:
http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=268219&&

This is generated from an unattended mailbox.  If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov.
Comments sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.