[Vision2020] Fwd: Abolish Property Taxes Now!

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Jan 30 18:53:30 PST 2007

I guess the operative word is "compelling."  Most states, Idaho included,
established the system of public schools as a state effort, but dependent on
local financial and governance effort.  Idaho's constitution makes a more
compelling argument for state funding, than is found in many other states,
because of the requirement that the State establish and maintain a public
school system.  Interestingly, because of the almost universal requirement
for local financial effort as part of the basic education funding,
distribution measures indicate there is greater inequality between districts
in the same state than there actually is between states.

Is there a compelling reason for this type of funding pattern?  Depends on
who's talking.   Districts with a broader and more wealthy tax base are
reluctant to provide much equalization funding for poorer districts.  Some
states have enacted "Robin Hood" laws (Texas is one with which I am
familiar) to equalize the disparity, but as time goes by those laws are
eroded and pretty soon the inequality is as great as it ever was.  Policy
makers from more affluent districts argue they need funding to provide
students with greater options just to keep their students in the public
schools.  In the meantime districts such as Meridian build swimming pools in
their schools while Orofino has to beg for textbooks. (I think it's
Meridian--it's one of the newer schools in the Boise Valley.)

A couple of years ago there was an appellate court case that also speaks to
another motive for disparate funding.  It was out of New York and parents in
the city were claiming they were being treated unfairly in the distribution
of state education monies. The judge agreed, but he said that was ok because
in our society we have a need for people with less education to do the
menial jobs such as short order cook and housekeeper.

Andreas, I do go on...sorry.  I know you wanted a short and simple response.

Sue Hovey